ma election results|election results massachusetts|mass election results|boston election results|massachusetts primary election results:Democrat Maura Healey will face Republican Geoff Diehl in the Massachusetts governor’s race this November, the Associated Press projects.The results of Massachusetts’ primary elections on Tuesday mean a Republican backed by former President Donald Trump will face a candidate who fought the Trump administration numerous times in court as attorney general.Polls in most communities closed at 8 p.m. Tuesday and tabulation began immediately. Enough ballots were counted by 10 p.m. that several statewide races could be called.
Voters in Barnstable, however, were allowed to continue casting ballots through midnight after a broken vault prevented elections officials from accessing the ballots and opening polling places on time. Many of the ballots cast in that town will need to be counted by hand.
Gov. Charlie Baker, a moderate Republican, decided against seeking another term, and there is a competitive Republican primary to succeed him: Geoff Diehl, a former state lawmaker endorsed by former President Donald J. Trump, is facing Chris Doughty, a businessman and moderate. Maura Healey, the state’s attorney general, has cleared the Democratic field, making her primary a formality in this heavily Democratic state.
Massachusetts Primary 2022 Results
Republican voters made Massachusetts the latest blue state this midterm season to nominate a Trump loyalist in a high-profile race, potentially dooming the party’s chances of winning in November. Voters in Connecticut and Maryland, liberal states where centrist Republicans have found some success in previous elections, also selected far-right candidates to go up against a Democrat in the general election.
iehl has come to embrace Trump’s false claims that he won the 2020 election. Diehl said last year that he didn’t think it was a “stolen election” but later said the election was rigged, despite dozens of courts, local officials and Trump’s own attorney general saying the vote was legitimate. Doughty, meanwhile, has said he believes President Joe Biden was legitimately elected.
The challenge for Diehl in the general election is that support of Trump may play well among the party’s conservative wing but could be a political albatross in a state where registered Republicans make up less than 10 percent of the electorate compared to about 31 percent for Democrats and about 57 percent for independents.
ma election results
- AG Maura Healey is projected to be the Democratic candidate for governor, a race that was called early in part because her opponent had dropped out of the race.
- Republican Geoff Diehl, who was endorsed by former President Donald Trump, is moving on as the Republican candidate for governor, the AP projects.
- Salem Mayor Kim Driscoll captured the Democrat’s nomination for lieutenant governor.
- Andrea Campbell is projected to win the Democratic nomination for attorney general, a role Healey is leaving in her bid for higher office. She’ll face Republican Jay McMahon, a trial attorney who previously lost to Healey.
- Longtime incumbent Secretary of State William Galvin, a Democrat, survived a challenge to be nominated for an eighth term as the state’s top election official.
- Kevin Hayden is projected by the AP to defeat Boston City Councilor Ricardo Arroyo in a Democratic primary race for the Suffolk DA’s office.
Massachusetts Attorney General Primary Election Results
|Town||Campbell||Liss-Riordan||Palfrey||Total votes||Est. rpt.||Est. remain. votes|
|+ View all|
Massachusetts Primary 2022 Results
Massachusetts primary 2022 results Check offical website
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia