PM Pranam Scheme |Pranam Scheme |Pardhan Mantri Pranam Scheme|PM Pranam yojana|Pardhan Mantri Pranam yojana :The Centre plans to introduce a new scheme – PM PRANAM, which stands for PM Promotion of Alternate Nutrients for Agriculture Management Yojana. What is this scheme, and why is it being introduced now.The PM Pranam scheme will incentivise those states that use lesser amounts of chemical fertilisers in a particular year as compared with the average quantity used over a period of last three years.
the Centre plans to launch a scheme called the PM Promotion of Alternate Nutrients for Agriculture Management Yojana or PM PRANAM, which will incentivise the states, said a report.The proposed scheme will help the government reduce its subsidy burden on chemical fertilisers, which is expected to rise 39 percent to Rs 2.25 lakh crore in 2022-23 from Rs 1.62 lakh crore last year.
What is the PM PRANAM scheme?
On the back of the sharp increase in overall fertiliser use in the last five years, the government is planning to launch the PM PRANAM scheme that will pass on 50 percent of subsidy savings as a grant to the state that saves the money. Of this, the state needs to use 70 percent on creating assets that would lead to technological adoption in alternate fertilisers and alternate fertiliser production units at district levels, blocks and villages.
The states can use the remaining 30 percent to reward and encourage farmers, panchayats, farmer producer organisations and self-help groups involved in generating awareness and helping in reducing the use of fertiliser, Indian Express reported quoting sources.
The government will compare the state’s increase or decrease in the use of chemical fertiliser in a year to its average consumption in the last three years. The government will use the fertiliser ministry dashboard iFMS to compare the data.There will be no separate budget for the PM PRANAM scheme. It will be financed through the “savings of existing fertiliser subsidy” provided by the department of fertilisers under various schemes.
PM Pranam Scheme
You may remember that during his independence day speech on August 15, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had urged the farmers to reduce their dependence on chemical fertilisers. He appealed to the farmers to adopt natural farming practices. “Natural farming, chemical-free farming can give strength to the country’s goal,
This shows that the central government was working on bringing a policy related to natural farming and now as per various reports, it’s all set to come out with the Pradhan Mantri-Promotion of Alternative Nutritious And Agriculture Management (PM-PRANAM) scheme soon. The PM-PRANAM scheme is aimed at discouraging the use of chemical fertilisers and promoting sustainable agriculture practices.
Pardhan Mantri Pranam yojana
Under the scheme, the states with lesser utilisation of chemical fertilisers in a particular year as compared to the average quantity in the last three years would be incentivised. The states would be provided with 50% of the fertilizer subsidy saving they do by using less fertilizer. It may be noted that farmers have been relying extensively on fertilisers like urea, diammonium phosphate (DAP), and Muriate of Potash (MOP) to increase their yields.
The scheme will help the government reduce the fertiliser subsidy burden besides promoting natural farming. Last year, the centre spent around Rs 1.62 lakh crore on fertiliser subsidy and the same is expected to increase to Rs 2.25 lakh crore in 2022-2023.
The reports said that states can use 70% of that incentive for farmers’ welfare and related developments. The remaining 30% grant can be used for incentivising those panchayats, farmers and self-help groups who helped in reducing fertiliser use. The scheme may prove to be a game-changer for the agriculture sector as it will promote natural farming thus increasing yield, reduce subsidy burdern and incentivise states as well.
pm-pranam scheme registration
According to government data, fertilizer requirements have been increasing in the last few years. The total requirement of Urea, DAP (Di-ammonium Phosphate), MOP (Muriate of potash), and NPKS (Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium) rose by 21% between 2017-2018 and 2021-2022, from 528.86 lakh metric tonnes (LMT) to 640.27 LMT. This increased the subsidy burden as well.
The government is still finalising the nitty-gritty of the PM-PRANAM scheme after taking inputs from all stakeholders. It’s yet to finalize a launch date for the scheme.
Launch- PM-PRANAM (PM Programme for Restoration, Awareness, Nourishment and Amelioration of Mother Earth) was launched in Union Budget 2023–24. Aim- To promote the balanced use of chemical and alternative fertilisers, generating awareness of regenerative agriculture (RA).